|Art deco style details inside Liberty Hall
The Liberty Theater originally was opened in 1930 by Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur Shieldes as a first-run movie theater on the south side of the Tyler square, and continued in operation for 50 years.
The City of Tyler purchased the building in 2008 for $180,000, and subsequently renovated it using donations of over $1 million.
The Liberty is once again home to memory-making events and entertainment after it was converted into Liberty Hall
and re-opened in September 2011
Liberty Hall, downtown Tyler Texas, with skyline in background
Liberty Hall: major support provided by The Genecov Group
The stage inside Liberty Hall in Tyler Texas
"Liberty" signage over the stage in the Liberty Hall
Art deco design details on the 2nd floor boxes of Liberty Hall
The Steele family stage, Liberty Hall, downtown Tyler Texas
In addition to the Liberty Theater, downtown Tyler was also the location several other movie houses such as the Tyler Theater, Arcadia, Queen, Majestic, Joy and Palace. On the outskirts of Tyler were drive-in theaters such as the Starlight, the Crest, and the Apache.
The Arcadia, opened in 1925, was located on North Spring Street. Two other theaters had occupied this site, the Theatorium and the Queen. The streetscape scene below in downtown Tyler Texas includes the site of the Arcadia Theater.
The Tyler Theater, opened at the corner of South Broadway and West Erwin streets on August 2, 1940. It closed in September, 1982. Today, parts of the theater remain standing on that corner, including the vertical sign (see photo below). Some of the building has been demolished.