Construction occurred during 1951-53, and Amon Carter Field was officially opened in the spring of 1953, named after the local legendary businessman. It was assigned airport code ACF.
|Amon Carter Field Flight Operations
A passenger terminal with two concourses, ticketing, and restaurant facilities faced to the west, towards Fort Worth, away from Dallas.
The name was later changed to Greater Southwest International Airport, airport code GSW. The airport enjoyed moderate success over the years, but competition from Love Field in Dallas gradually reduced usage of GSW.
With the opening of Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), GSW began to be shut down, and was closed on January 13, 1974. The GSW terminal was demolished in 1980, and the last of the runways were removed by 1982.
For a detailed discussion of Amon Carter Field's history, photographs, maps, and more, we recommend a visit to the PlanesOfThePast.com website
|Trans Texas Airways route map circa 1952, showing Fort Worth and Tyler
(click to enlarge)
One of our favorite airlines that served Amon Carter - GSW and Pounds Airport in Tyler over the years was Texas' own Trans Texas Airways (TTA). During the 1950s and 1960s, TTA operated a small fleet of about 25 Convair 240 and Convair 600 aircraft, as well as DC-3s.
As with the DC-3s, the Convair airliners were purchased from American Airlines, whose maintenance records indicated the aircraft were in extremely good condition.
read more about Trans Texas Airways